Monday, August 2, 2010

BUCKNER & GARCIA - Pac-Man Fever (1981)


ORIGINAL POSTING DATE: June 1, 2010

Video games have always been one of my biggest hobbies, and although I've gotten older and I don't play them as often as I used to, I will be forever addicted and drawn to them. Pac-Man will go down in history as my favorite game of all time, and no matter how many innovative titles and remakes that software companies can and will conjure up even years from now, the very first version from the early 80's will be the most memorable. I mentioned in one of my posts of the "Heroes Of Might & Magic" soundtracks that video game music is some of the best instrumental music around. The 1981 novelty album named "Pac-Man Fever" featuring the duo Jerry Buckner and Gary Garcia is not an album instrumental songs, however, but a tireless search for Pac-Man related songs a few years ago led me to it. As soon as I heard the title track, I was instantly hooked! Not only was it a fun song with a groovy beat, but the inclusion of classic sound effects from the original game itself made it all the more special. And to make the album so much more sweeter, there are seven other cool songs created in honor of other classic video games released in the same era as Pac-Man--complete with sound effects from the actual games as well; "Frogger's Lament", "Ode To A Centipede", "Do The Donkey Kong", "Hyperspace", "The Defender", "Mousetrap" and "Goin' Berserk" pay tribute to 'Frogger', 'Centipede', 'Donkey Kong', 'Asteroids', 'Defender', 'Mouse Trap' and 'Berserk', respectively. Classic arcade video game addicts alike will devour the music on this album, but even if you're not, the songs make for some great 80's dance music:

1. Pac-Man Fever
2. Frogger's Lament
3. Ode To A Centipede
4. Do The Donkey Kong
5. Hyperspace
6. The Defender
7. Mousetrap
8. Goin' Berserk

*****BONUS TRACKS*****

9. Pac-Man Fever [Extended 12 Inch Remix]
10. Pac-Man Fever [Club Mix]
11. Pac-Man Fever [Instrumental]

No comments: