Monday, August 2, 2010

Linda Eder-Gold (2002)



ORIGINAL POSTING DATE: July 5, 2010

A beautiful golden cover made just right for a woman with a golden voice. I feel like I've said this a thousand times already, but I still cannot believe it's taken me all these years to get into Linda Eder's music! All of the websites I've been to (and continue going to) that feature any of her CDs all seem to be saying the same thing: "Best female vocalist of our time". Of course, that can be said for a lot of singers, too, but if those words could be reserved for just one of them, then Linda would definitely deserve to carry that title. 2002's "Gold" is now the sixth album of her discography that I've heard, and although it marks a break from the vocal jazz that I'd gotten accustomed to over the past few weeks, it's now my favorite Linda Eder album.....that is, until the next one leapfrogs over this one and becomes the new favorite. "Gold" marks a return to the contemporary pop music scene--a sound that was established on her 1991 self-titled album. There are some mighty grand performances included here--three of them being modern covers of some good old familiar hits from the past--"Here Comes The Sun" (originally performed by THE BEATLES), "Son Of A Preacher Man" (originally sung by Dusty Springfield in the late 60's) and the jazzed-up "Drift Away" (originally sung by John Henry Kurtz back in the 70's and covered by so many different singers); I like every one of those three songs (both the originals and Linda's versions). Then there's the powerful anthems like "We're All Alone", "If I Had My Way" and the moving title track--all of which soar to amazing heights on the wings of exquisite symphony production:

1. Here Comes The Sun
2. How Little We Know
3. Until I Don't Love You Anymore
4. Son Of A Preacher Man
5. If I Should Lose My Way
6. Gently Break My Heart
7. Everything That's Wrong
8. Drift Away
9. Across The Water
10. Her Gypsy Heart
11. How In The World
12. We're All Alone
13. Gold
14. If I Had My Way

No comments: