Monday, August 2, 2010



UNDERCOVER-Ain't No Stoppin' Us (1994)



ORIGINAL POSTING DATE: June 27, 2010

Oh, there's so much to like on UNDERCOVER's second album, "Ain't No Stoppin' Us"; it's one that has indeed been lying 'undercover'.....well, sort of. It seems not many people know of its existence (even I didn't know for the longest time), so I thought it would be nice to feature it here for everyone--and especially for my good friend Leo, whom I know will appreciate this one. The first two songs are dance covers of unforgettable hits from the 70's: 10CC's "I'm Not In Love" (I've heard so many covers of this one lately) and McFADDEN & WHITEHEAD's disco classic, "Ain't No Stoppin' Us Now" (ooh, I love this one a lot). Then things get really interesting from Track #3 and onward. "Best Friend", another great dance jam, is one that was also sung by the Dutch boyband CAUGHT IN THE ACT on their self-titled debut album from 1995, but I have a sneaking suspicion that even UNDERCOVER's 1994 version is a cover of an original performed by somebody else because the lyrics sound so familiar. "Zoom", "I Wanna Thank You" and the jazzed-up cover of SPANDAU BALLET's "True" slow the tempo down (just a little bit, though) in favor of a more slick dance-pop, and Track #7's "For Another Day" slows it all the way down with a beautiful ballad that you almost wouldn't expect from a dance group, but still sounds so good nonetheless. But things speed right back up with more dance hits like "Holding On Tight", "Reach Out" (no, it's not quite the FOUR TOPS cover you might've been expecting!), and my absolute favorite track on this album, "Lovesick". The club remixes included just put sweet icing on the cake; I was so wishing for a remix of "Ain't No Stoppin' Us Now", but I'm so glad there's at least one for "Best Friend":

1. I'm Not In Love
2. Ain't No Stoppin' Us Now
3. Best Friend
4. Zoom
5. I Wanna Thank You
6. Holding On Tight
7. For Another Day
8. True
9. Reach Out
10. Lovesick
11. Best Friend [Dan's Monster Club Mix]
12. Lovesick [Rubber Dub Luv Mix]

No comments: