Monday, September 15, 2014


David Hanselmann-Frontline (1985)


ORIGINAL POSTING DATE: September 15, 2014

Flip-flopping back band forth between the 80's and the 90's—what I've been doing for the most part since the end of last month. Now I flip back to the 80's where I get reacquainted with David Hanselmann, the terrific German pop singer who made the front page of "The Music Spectrum" back in early August with his wonderful 1991 album, "Let The Music Carry On". Yes—I think I've done exactly that, as his music carries on with my presentation of his 1985 album, "Frontline". A much different-sounding Hanselmann this time around: more intimate, mellow and finessed are his vocals than the stunning, blow-you-away chords that dazzled my ears before, and the light, easy-listening synthpop production of the music itself contrasts drastically to the power-punching beats and rhythms that had put an electrifying charge into my senses. But you know what? This softer, quieter David Hanselmann was still a delightful to listen to on a gloomy, rainy autumn afternoon where I wasn't in the mood for anything on the hard n' heavy side anyways. That memorable pop sound of the early 80's makes its presence known right off the bat with the opening title track, then maintains that presence on "Vision" (the first song where it's a joy to hear the German singer reach the high notes) and a bouncy love song, "Desire". It's his sincere, down-to-earth interpretation of what he believes 'love is' that I liked the most about the album's fifth track, a tender ballad that touches you in all the right places. After that little cool down, the music heats up again with the dancey tunes "Fire In My Heart", "Heart To Heart" (now there's a song with some real intimacy) and "Real Romance" (scores extra points from me because of the touch of electro-funky groove and the saxophone jazzing it up so sweetly midway through), plus my #1 favorite, "All I Need", which is one of those tunes where I can close my eyes and cuddle up with it all day long. The album concludes with what I say is the album's best overall lyrically: "Mirror". It loosely is a take on the classic quotation from the "Snow White And The Seven Dwarves" film: 'Magic mirror on the wall, who is the fairest one of all?'. In David's case, it's more like 'mirror mirror on the wall, who's the biggest fool of them all?'. And according to him, if you peer into that mirror, the reflection on the opposite side just might say something that you don't want to hear. So now that I've placed this "Frontline" album at the front and center with my thoughts, I'm sure there'll other listeners out there will make getting this David Hanselmann gem a top priority:

1. Frontline
2. Vision
3. Desire
4. Love Is
5. Fire In My Heart
6. Heart To Heart
7. All I Need
8. Real Romance
9. Mirror

No comments: