Thursday, November 13, 2014


Roger Shah-Roger Shah Presents Sunlounger: Balearic Beauty (2013)


ORIGINAL POSTING DATE: November 13, 2014

I think I'm still halfway between being in a trance mood and being in a chill-out mood, so I thought I'd finish listening to something I started peeking into a few days ago that offers up the best of both worlds and present it here in the process. "Sunlounger: Balearic Beauty" is the double-disc compilation and at least the second in the 'Sunlounger' collection created by German electronic/trance DJ Roger Shah. For me, it was my second stint with the DJ, having previously gotten chilled and thrilled by Roger's 2011 release, "Openminded!?". Quite honestly, this "Balearic Beauty" had only been intended for just some casual background music to listen to while I was doing some things at home. But after my ears took in the beautiful sounds of the opening instrumental piece that is this compilation's title track, followed by German pop/rock singer Inger Hansen's voicing of Track #2's "Come As You Are", I was instantly hooked! I'd already declared "Come As You Are" my absolute favorite just minutes into this compilation: the acoustic guitar arrangement, the flute melody, the moody atmosphere and Inger's soulful voice (I love the way it echoes with the ambiance) all being the perfect ingredients for the perfect chillout tune. Of course, I'm now locked in and looking ahead to hearing what else this Inger Hansen guy has to offer. Every offering hereafter has something cool about it that makes me want to keep listening, but I was especially attracted to all of the other non-vocal pieces following the title track, namely "Balearic Romance" (you can feel the subtle techno building up behind the slow groove while the soft piano really brings the music out here), "Sunkissed" (the accents of the guitar riffs and the subtle tribal beat are a lovely combination), "Mojito" (feels like a bedtime lullaby in its beginning movements) and "Relaxation". Then there are the remaining vocal tracks—chilled quite nicely and showing off a very talented bunch. While I hovered over Inger Hansen's "Come As You Are" seemingly a lot longer than the rest of them, I was equally impressed with and found instant satisfaction with Yoav's "Today Tonight", JES' "Glitter And Gold" (and that shrill voice of hers really does glitter), Chase's "Surrender" (I've gotta hear more by this guy, too; 'put your hands up, put your hands up' for this beauty, as he sings in the main lyrics) and "Find My Way", which eventually dethroned Inger's "Come As You Are" as the cut that reigns supreme according to my ranking. "Find My Way", actually, is strikingly similar to "Come As You Are" with its atmospheric, chilled-out arrangement, except for the subtle trance rhythm gradually building up beneath the soft groove and the extra charm of those twinkly bells. And I gotta admire stunning chords of the song's male vocalist, Sason Bishope Parry. At least, I assume he's Sason Bishope Parry. At the least, I know that Rocking J isn't the vocalist, as his entry in the Discogs database reveals him to be another fellow trance DJ out of Germany Once you've made it through all fourteen of the regular chillout mixes on the first CD, enjoy them all again in their reinvented uptempo format on this compilation's second companion CD. It is here were all of my favorites come to life, with the thrilling tranced-up "Find My Way" (wow—this one totally deserved to be given the trance remix treatment!) leading the pack:

CD #1: Downtempo

1. Balearic Beauty (Chillout Mix)
2. Come As You Are [feat. Inger Hansen] (Chillout Mix)
3. I Just Wanna Dance With You [feat. Kingseyes] (Chillout Mix)
4. Coconuts & Pineapples (Chillout Mix)
5. I’ll Be Fine [feat. Alexandra Baboi] (Chillout Mix)
6. Sunkissed (Chillout Mix)
7. If You Where Here [feat. Suzie Del Vecchio] (Chillout Mix)
8. Balearic Romance (Chillout Mix)
9. Today Tonight [feat. Yoav] (Chillout Mix)
10. Mojito [feat. Andre Frauenstein] (Chillout Mix)
11. Glitter And Gold [feat. JES] (Chillout Mix)
12. Surrender [feat. Chase] (Chillout Mix)
13. Relaxation [feat. Jörg Stenzel] (Chillout Mix)
14. Find My Way [feat. Rocking J & Sason Bishope Parry] (Chillout Mix)


CD #2: Uptempo

1. Balearic Beauty (Original Mix)
2. Come As You Are [feat. Inger Hansen] (Original Mix)
3. I Just Wanna Dance With You [feat. Kingseyes] (Original Mix)
4. Coconuts & Pineapples (Original Mix)
5. I’ll Be Fine [feat. Alexandra Baboi] (Original Mix)
6. Sunkissed (Original Mix)
7. If You Where Here [feat. Suzie Del Vecchio] (Original Mix)
8. Balearic Romance (Original Mix)
9. Today Tonight [feat. Yoav] (Original Mix)
10. Mojito [feat. Andre Frauenstein] (Original Mix)
11. Glitter And Gold [feat. JES] (Original Mix)
12. Surrender [feat. Chase] (Original Mix)
13. Relaxation [feat. Jörg Stenzel] (Original Mix)
14. Find My Way [feat. Rocking J & Sason Bishope Parry] (Original Mix)

No comments: