Saturday, July 18, 2015

ARMAGEDDON: THE ALBUM MOVIE SOUNDTRACK (1998)


ORIGINAL POSTING DATE: July 18, 2015

"Deep Impact", "Titanic", "Independence Day", "Twister", "Apollo 13", "War Of The Worlds", "I Am Legend", "The Day After Tomorrow", "Resident Evil", "Atomic Train".....even "The Blob"—I've seen just about every disaster movie that's ever been made, whether it was filmed way back in the 70's and 80's or something that's been shown at the movie theaters within the past decade of this New Millennium, whether it's about mutant creatures, alien invasions and widespread virus epidemics, natural disasters or global catastrophes. But my #1 favorite of all time has to be the Bruce Willis/Ben Affleck blockbuster "Armageddon", which I first saw in front of the silver screen the year after I graduated from high school. Basically, if there was a movie back in the day that dealt with astronomy and science fiction, I was in the front seat. Although my 'disaster movie-watching' has dwindled some in recent years, I still find that a giant asteroid threatening to destroy earth and wipe out mankind creates for a totally epic adventure, which this "Armageddon' film was, taking me through a roller coaster ride of emotions in reaction to the action, the drama, the romance and the suspense— remember the movie like it was yesterday. And just as much of an edge-of-my-seat thrill ride as the movie was the accompanying soundtrack, which I had to treat myself to a listen of again when it was requested. It's always fun to tune in to these old movie soundtracks—if not just for enjoying the sometimes-exclusive songs found on them, then for reliving those memorable scenes from the actual movie that touched you the most. For instance, I'd nearly forgotten how prominently that AEROSMITH, one of my favorite rock bands of all time, was featured here. Steven Tyler and company first storm in on the soundtrack's opener, "I Don't Want To Miss A Thing", which has gotta be one of THE greatest power rock ballads and love songs ever to be recorded and fits the epic theme of "Armageddon". Now I should've recalled the scene that this song was playing in long before I got to the final cut, "Animal Crackers", which quickly reminded me of that scene when Ben Affleck's character, A.J., and Liv Tyler's character, Grace, are sharing a romantic moment with A.J. dancing some animal crackers on Grace's body. Steven Tyler and the guys return on "What Kind Of Love Are You On?" (I always love it when Steven does that outrageously wild, almost inaudible screeching with his vocals, just like he does so well on "Dude Looks Like A Lady"). "Sweet Emotion" (I remember this one so well, particularly the awesome guitar riffs) and their timeless 70's hit, "Come Together", which I'd first heard in a commercial back in the 80's (or maybe it was the early 90's); I'd recognize that classic rock beat anywhere. Besides AEROSMITH, a few other favorite rock artists make an appearance on this soundtrack: JOURNEY, with the song "Remember Me" (and ironically, I didn't remember it at all until I listened to this soundtrack again); ZZ TOP, with their offering "La Grange"; Jon Bon Jovi, with "Mister Big Time"; and Patty Smyth, with her lovely emotional "Wish I Were You", which was a special delight, considering that I haven't really listened to much of Patty outside of the 80's and away from SCANDAL, the band which she fronted long ago. The name 'Chantal Kreviazuk' did not ring one bell with me until I listened to her angelic voice on the easy-listening folk song, "Leaving On A Jet Plane", a song that I've surely heard a hundred times on the soft rock radio airwaves. And now I forget during what part of the "Armageddon" movie that this song is featured, although I'm thinking it was during one of those climatic moments towards the end when the oil drillers successfully combat the impending asteroid? I need to watch it again. As for the other players: it was a joy to hear good ole Bob Seger (I always think about "Like A Rock" and that truck commercial when it comes to him) and his SILVER BULLET BAND again on "Roll Me Away"; I like his half-talking, half-singing delivery of the verses. Then the movie's official orchestral score composed by Trevor Rabin rounds out this epic soundtrack quite beautifully:

1. Aerosmith - I Don't Want To Miss A Thing
2. Journey - Remember Me
3. Aerosmith - What Kind Of Love Are You On?
4. ZZ Top - La Grange
5. Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band - Roll Me Away
6. Shawn Colvin - When The Rainbow Comes
7. Aerosmith - Sweet Emotion
8. Jon Bon Jovi - Mister Big Time
9. Aerosmith - Come Together
10. Patty Smyth - Wish I Were You
11. Our Lady Peace - Starseed
12. Chantal Kreviazuk - Leaving On A Jet Plane
13. Trevor Rabin - Theme From Armageddon
14. Steven Tyler, Liv Tyler & Ben Affleck - Animal Crackers

No comments: