Sunday, November 15, 2015

Michael Ball-Always (1993)


ORIGINAL POSTING DATE: November 15, 2015

As you can see, I am still on the 'ball' when it comes to the easy-listening tunes. After my first round with English singer Michael Ball (and that first round is still in prondgress, as I plan to tune into his self-titled debut again sometime in the future), I had already decided a second one would be nice. Got my chance on this peaceful Sunday evening I've enjoyed while in my winding-down mode with Michael's second solo effort: "Always". And I believe I will indeed always like listening to this guy sing, having been allured once again by his darling, romantic ballads and his heart-warming remakes of a selection of popular standards. Personal highlights from this theatrical performance include "A House Is Not A Home" (the backing orchestra deserves an extended round of applause for creating the classy musical backdrop), the bluesy "If I Can Dream" (Michael is 'on the ball' himself here with his stunning, show-stopping vocals!), "You Don't Have To Say You Love Me" (I just love the musical arrangements that went into this one) and, a very familiar favorite of mine, "On Broadway", which I'd first heard performed by the legendary George Benson eons ago on the radio (I've always loved the upbeat jazzy vibe of this song). But then, my ears couldn't help but to be dazzled by some of the other jazzy selections: "A Song For You", "Cry Me A River" and "You Made Me Love You" (starts off as a soft piano piece before it kicks into full jazz swing about midway through). Then there's also those songs of his with that fuzzy, dreamy fairy-tale feel that are totally Broadway-worthy; "You'll Never Know" is another such selection that fits into that category perfectly. I've had a ball with this talented English singer so far, and I'm pretty sure that I'll keep that ball rolling:

1. A Song For You
2. A House Is Not A Home
3. If I Can Dream
4. Cry Me A River
5. You Don't Have To Say You Love Me
6. Someone To Watch Over Me
7. On Broadway
8. Tell Me There's A Heaven
9. Always On My Mind
10. You'll Never Know
11. Stormy Weather
12. You Made Me Love You

No comments: