Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Juice Newton-Quiet Lies (1982)


ORIGINAL POSTING DATE: February 3, 2016

I cannot tell a lie; my head will forever be buried in the 80's! It's a good thing that I take these short little treks back to my favorite decade from time to time, because otherwise, I wouldn't find out about the various interesting things that I hadn't known about certain artists for years and years. Case in point: the country/pop legend Juice Newton, whose name I've always thought was really cool. Who else in the world of music has 'Juice' as a first name? I finally alleviated some curiosity today by discovering that her actual first name is Judy. A discovery among other things, it turns out, after enjoying my first ever full listen to Juice's 1982 album, "Quiet Lies". I've had countless repeated listens, however, to the one hit song—and the only song of hers I'd ever heard until now—that represents the album's second track: "Love's Been A Little Bit Hard On Me". I cannot tell a lie here either when I say that "Love's Been A Little Bit Hard On Me" is the reason I had to add "Quiet Lies" to my music collection, despite me already owning a compilation of her greatest hits. There's just something about having the original album from where the original song was recorded. And an original it is—one of those classic rock jams with a country spirit and a catchy hook that I love to along to! I imagine love's been a little bit hard on a lot of us, but it's not so hard at all loving every minute of this one! Besides that, listening to this album was further an opportunity to hear whatever other gems might be found here. If I hadn't noticed it from those countless listens of that unforgettable golden oldie, I surely took notice of how delightful Juice's voice is the moment I took in "Heart Of The Night", which further delighted me because of it's charming, soft rock radio glow. "Break It To Me Gently" is a fine example of a song that sounds so, so sad can be so, so sweet. The words might tell about the songwriter who's on the verge of having her heart broken, but the flow of the music makes for a comforting 4+ minutes. "I'm Dancing As Fast As I Can" is one of those songs where I'm all sorts of curious about its theme the moment I'm captivated by its interesting title. How can someone dance as fast as they can? Juice explains it all in the lyrics in this gem of an easy-listening piece. As fond as I am of "Love's Been A Little Bit Hard On Me", I've become just as fond of another dancey upbeat rock-spirited jam: "Trail Of Tears". Love these kinds of songs where there's plenty of that tell-it-like-it-is attitude in the words that are sung. 'Tired of lettin' you play with my mind is among the colorful things Juice has to say when she's speaking her mind loud and clear. Then there are the ones I like because the music is simply nice on the ears: "Adios Mi Corazón" (that's "Goodbye, My Love" in Spanish), "Falling In Love" (such beautiful guitar acoustics in the opening movement, such a lovely piano accompaniment midway through and such true meaning about getting burned by love) and "Ever True", which is a very sweet song of lifetime romantic devotion and an honest, respectful way to conclude an album which really isn't full of 'quiet lies' after all:


1. Heart Of The Night
2. Love's Been A Little Bit Hard On Me
3. Break It To Me Gently
4. Love Sail Away
5. I'm Dancing As Fast As I Can
6. I'm Gonna Be Strong
7. Trail Of Tears
8. Adios Mi Corrazón
9. Falling In Love
10. Ever True

No comments: