Sunday, February 7, 2016

SKID ROW-Skid Row (1989)


ORIGINAL POSTING DATE: February 7, 2016

I've been on such a hot streak with this 80's rock music kick I've been on for the past few days that I nearly 'skidded' past another hair band I've failed to show much love to over the years. So I thought today would be a good time to make a screeching stop and drop in on the New Jersey-based metal band SKID ROW. Besides enjoying my first ever full listen to them, I really just wanted something with a little pick-me-up to put a charge in my step after lazing around for much of my afternoon. The fun, high-octane opener, "Big Guns", proved to be exactly the jump start I needed. Passionate love and a true rock spirit—those combined forces at work really do ho hand in hand. The theme of the lyrics kinda reminds me of the Cher's power ballad, "Just Like Jesse James", talking about taking out people's hearts with a loaded gun of hurt and going down in flames and such. I had been really enthusiastic to know what "Rattlesnake Shake" would be about, given its colorfully attractive title.....and now I'm enthusiastic to talk about it! The whole song is just super-catchy, particularly the hook when the band's backup crew chimes in with the 'shake shake, boom boom'. Sebastian Bach, the band's lead singer (and someone I had the pleasure of hearing solo not too long ago), shows off some real personality on this one, too, me especially liking how he adds some spice to the word 'life' by going 'l-l-l-l-life' (just a lot of L's there). Totally capturing the reckless and carefree 80's hair band rock spirit are "Youth Gone Wild", plus couple of ones I personally liked because of the cheeky tag lines in the lyrics: "Here I Am" and "Makin' A Mess" (take my lovin' while you can'), taken from the former, and 'if you're with me, you'll be makin' the best mess you ever made', taken from the latter are, in my opinion, two of the best lines on this whole debut album!). Every 80's hair band seems to have had at least one good emotionally mellow power ballad that gets stuck inside your head and stays stuck inside your head. For this SKID ROW bunch, I cite "I Remember You" as being one of those gems, loving every moment of the warming melody and the thoughtful words belted out by Sebastian's screeching, gritty vocals. So now that I've gotten my jump start for the afternoon, I think I'll just skid right along to my next music adventure:


1. Big Guns
2. Sweet Little Sister
3. Can't Stand The Heartache
4. Piece Of Me
5. 18 And Life
6. Rattlesnake Shake
7. Youth Gone Wild
8. Here I Am
9. Makin' A Mess
10. I Remember You
11. Midnight / Tornado

1 comment:

Days of Broken Arrows said...

Great post. Not sure how old you are, but I'm old enough to remember the "18 and Life" video caused some controversy in its depiction of teen violence. Its subject proved prophetic, sad to say.

It was also a trip to see Sebastian Bach turn up on "Gilmore Girls" a decade or so later.