Tuesday, March 22, 2016


Love C.A.-Love Conquers All (1993)


ORIGINAL POSTING DATE: March 22, 2016

.....And music conquers all! Just when I thought I had collected all of the solo male dance artists of the early 90's, this unexpected surprise recommendation drops into my mailbox! Checking out the tunes on this debut album by singer Anders Hansson (better known by his moniker of 'Love C.A.', the 'C.A.', presumably, standing for 'conquers all', as in this album's title) meant that I got my latest chance to journey back to my favorite Scandinavian country for another marvelous music adventure. In this episode of my never-ending saga, Sir Hansson reigns supreme everywhere in his divine house: on the dance floor, behind the closed bedroom door, and even when he's got one foot out the door and ready to call it quits on love! Allow me to clarify..... First, I put the spotlight on the latest 'rain song' to please my ears: "Rain Until We Meet Again". Got swept right up into bouncy Europop bliss with this one (a reminder that I'm still so addicted to Swedish pop production) and his alluring hushed vocals, a rather smooth and subtle way for me to be introduced to his singing style. Though it would be on the very next one where he had me standing at attention: "Look At My Hands". Look no further; this is like THE perfect 90's dance jam! What do you get when you have a mega-groovy rhythm, a lovely melody, a jazzy trumpet accompaniment, twinkly electronic shimmering sound effects, and some poetic lyrics that speak about the body language of a that a man is weak for a woman's love? Something you just can't put down! It only becomes more of an awesome addiction with the guest female vocalist providing some big n' bold backup, not to mention the 'Tout Sera Bien Mix', which takes the original and raises it to a whole new HI-NRG level! The reggae hop and sunniness to "C'mon Let's Go" makes for some instant charm; it's the same combo at work when you walk the "Tightrope" on Track #8, except it's more of a carnival ride at the circus with the explosive drum n' bass accompaniment, something for the instrumental electronic music lovers (like me) who truly appreciate a variety of different textures in the production. Instrumental lovers surely will appreciate the art that went into creating the serenity that is the interlude "Aquarelle #1" (I love how this one just glides along like a calm stream) and the suspenseful, dreamy ambiance that is "Free" (I sure dig that little 'heartbeat thump' and the chilled light piano in opening movement). Wish both of these were longer, and besides that, they surely would've served as great backdrops for a song with intimate love lyrics. If nothing else, they're both getting added to my 'Ambient Chill-Out Mix'! It's like another walk in the park—a fast walk, I should say!—jamming to this album's next dance thriller that is Track #5. The music sure will put you in a perky, merry spirit., with the 'Talking In The Dark' mix picking up the bass and raising the bar of excitement even higher! Also competing for space on the dance floor are "When There Was Love In The Air" (the wailing voice of a guest soul diva, the excellent keyboard playing and the slamming beat—this is your classic get-up-and-move-something jam!), "Why Making It So Hard For Me?" (vibes of unhappiness being projected though the big-time dance dizziness and sunny bliss, the pain being felt when Sir Hansson does the breakdown midway through and pours out his inner pains in words of agony), "It's A Heartache" (again, the groovy dance beat, cheery melody and the lovely guitar accompaniment contrast with the darkness of the lyrics—the happiest heartache I've ever experienced!) and the bonus cut, "Runaway", which comes courtesy of the single release of "C'mon Let's Go". One song to feel completely happy about: "Celebrate". I had already made it a favorite from the introductory movements, that favoritism boosted by the positive lyrics and the uptempo flow and just the whole feel-good air about it. The highlight on this one is definitely the soulicious soul diva boasting her powerful vocal talents; this lady rocks the house! Gotta feel good about "Born To Be Free", too; it's one of those tunes with an inspirational message where everybody can gather around and sing along to the catchy main chorus together. That reign of the bedroom I alluded to earlier? That would be him in his sensual, seductive deliverance of "Wish Upon A Star". Somehow, I expected this one to be the slow, romantic groove that it turned out to be; something about 'stars' and 'making wishes' makes a guy turn mellow. Think I've pretty much 'conquered' my review of all of the songs in Sir Hansson's collected kingdom; which of these songs will end up emerging as the ruler of your music kingdom first?


1. Rain Until We Meet Again
2. Look At My Hands
3. C'mon Let's Go
4. Aquarelle #1
5. Walking In The Park
6. Wish Upon A Star
7. When There Was Love In The Air
8. Tightrope
9. Celebrate
10. Why Making It So Hard For Me?
11. Free
12. Born To Be Free
13. It's A Heartache

*****BONUS TRACKS*****

14. Look At My Hands [7'' Version]
15. Look At My Hands [Tout Sera Bien Mix]
16. Walking In The Park [7'' Version]
17. Walking In The Park [Talking In The Dark Mix]
18. Celebrate [7'' Version]
19. Celebrate [Love CA Bass Nation Trigger]
20. Runaway

No comments: