Tuesday, April 26, 2016


VOICE MALE-Colors (1999)


ORIGINAL POSTING DATE: April 26, 2016

Have you checked your VOICE MALE lately? I myself have so many unlistened to messages in my own music mailbox, but I finally answered one of those when I spent a few minutes of my Tuesday night connecting with this Belgian acapella sextet and their second album called "Colors". It was a wonderful reminder that I am quite fond of these all-male acapella pop groups where the individual members use their only their respective talented vocals to create all of the melodies and beats and sound effects and whatever other usual tantalizing ingredients one can think of that goes into sculpting a music masterpiece. Besides that, it continued to appease to my recent 'chill-out music' mood—songs that are refreshing, relaxing and easy-listening for my receptive ears. The opening title track was such a beautiful way for me to get pulled into their alluring world of vocal harmony, loving the sweet whistle melody and how the lyrics say something meaningful and special about every part of the rainbow. Then after that, I couldn't resist jumping down to the concluding track, because once again, my eyes scanned a familiar song that's been a timeless classic for decades: "Take A Chance On Me". Seems everyone's recorded their own refined rendition of the ABBA hit at some point in time, this brilliant VOICE MALE remake coming only a few days after enjoying the equally brilliant, mostly-acapella rendering by Filipino singer Regine Velsquez from her "Covers, Volume 2" collection. Didn't know it was a familiar track, but once I started to hear the chorus to "Another Brick In The Wall", I knew that it was a song I'd heard on the classic rock radio channels so many times over the years. Had no idea that the signature monotonic, almost haunting unified vocals singing 'we don't need no education' and 'we don't need no thought control' were first coined by the legendary bunch PINK FLOYD. Those two lines, by the way, have always been my favorite part of the song and, really, the only part that I always remembered the best. There are a couple of colorful moments on this "Colors" album that allowed me to experience another taste of international cultural exposure: the exotic Turkish language tack, "Zor Kadin", which features a Turkish pop singer named Sertab Erener on lead vocals with the Belgian boys providing everything else music-wise on backup (I had figured there was something 'Middle Eastern' about it as soon as I heard her singing), and my personal favorite, "Señorita", which I welcomed with open arms, of course, because of its Latin flavor and accompanying Spanish lyrics (was it my very first time hearing' Spanish acapella pop, even with all of the Latin artists I've been exposed to through the years?). Even the album's fourth offering, "Love Is The Seventh Wave", offered something exotic—a subtle reggae-inspired rhythm, which only gives the already carefree, happy-to-be-in-love feel of this song an even more sunnier texture. Besides that, the guy who does the deep baritone vocals on this one deserves special mention, because he really brings this song out and makes it the gem that it is! Besides that one, I was thrust into a state of calm and happiness absorbing the sublime harmony of "Land Of Freedom", the positive vibes of "Weather With You", the joyful melody of "Voices Of Angels" and the upbeat, perky catch of "It Feels Good", which features some pretty nifty vocal play that's perhaps represents this Belgian sextet's finest demonstration of their collective talents overall:

1. Colors
2. It Feels Good
3. Zorr Kadin
4. Love is The Seventh Wave
5. Land Of Freedom
6. Weather With You
7. Señorita
8. Voices Of Angels
9. Another Brick In The Wall
10. It's Never Gonna Be The Same
11. Take A Chance On Me

No comments: