Tuesday, January 17, 2017

PC QUEST-PC Quest (1991)


ORIGINAL POSTING DATE: January 17, 2017

The quest is over! Or has it just begun? One more fulfilled long-standing pop music request arrives at "The Music Spectrum" in the form of the much-sought-after self-titled debut by the Oklahoma-based band that called itself PC QUEST. It had been a personal quest to play it many weeks ago, but it made for a nice after-Christmas/New Year's treat when I finally played it for my ears earlier this afternoon. I was reminded of the band's adolescent voices—not to mention the fact that it's not very often that my music-listening activities include me listing to adolescent artists altogether (although I have been tuning into the likes of vintage-80's Debbie Gibson and Tiffany a lot lately)—upon taking in the starry opening ballad, "After The Summer Is Gone". It's one of those 80's-sounding, soft rock radio-perfect tunes where the singer/songwriter wants the object of his or her affection to keep remembering all of the good times until they meet again. Not only is that one radio-friendly for the easy-listening audience, but so are the two other just-as-starry, twinkly ballads "Can I Call You My Girl?" and their very mature effort, "Can't You See?", where the dilemma of walking away from the one you love or staying close is explored. Thinking more about this band's maturity, they craft together perhaps their best offering overall on Track #6's warming, breezy tune, "I'm Still Cold", where I found myself being dazzled by the boy on lead vocals and his high soaring vocals. Aside from appealing to the adult contemporary crowd, the kids are simply kids when they come at you with a flurry of fun dance-pop jams, spearheaded by the glitzy "Show Me", whose the suspenseful groove and the sparkling synthesized production are some real ear candy; the music itself actually makes me think about Michael Jackson's hit, "Billie Jean", in some ways. Then there's "The Hardest Part (Is Being Young)", where the Nice upbeat dancey groove and the delightful hook showcasing their collective voices steadily grew on me. "Just Forget About Them" is pure pop bliss, with the boys adding in some hip-hop flavor with the rap midway through. They had also rapped some on "Show Me", then show off their lite-hearted rap skills again on "Loverboy" (I like the double-voice effect and lyrics on verse #2 about the guys who aren't the serious lovers having no soul and two left feet) while everyone joins in with the slick street-wise rhymes on the funky concluding jam, "Ready, Aim, Dance!" (that bold and in-your-face ' this is from the posse in the Sooner State ' is my favorite part). Searching for something good on this album isn't a daunting task whatsoever; your only real quest is to enjoy every minute and every second of this 30+ minute-long pop music adventure:

1. After The Summer Is Gone
2. Don't Be Afraid
3. Can I Call You My Girl?
4. Show Me
5. The Hardest Part (Is Being Young)
6. I'm Still Cold
7. Just Forget About Them
8. Can't You See?
9. Loverboy
10. Ready, Aim, Dance!

No comments: