Tuesday, January 3, 2017

THREE GIRLZZ-Euromambo (2010)


ORIGINAL POSTING DATE: January 3, 2017

And now I can say that I'm six for six in my current music-fulfillment streak, although this next share hasn't been as long-standing as my other personal music wishes. "Euromambo" is the one and only album released by the obscure (I like using that word) all-female Europop quartet that curiously called itself THREE GIRLZZ. Um, I can clearly see four girls on the album's colorful front cover artwork pictured above, so where does the 'THREE' come from? That bit of confusion had brought to mind the Belgian girl pop group whom I'd just featured right before Christmas simply called BOYZ, which in itself also was a bit confusing (both groups even have the 'Z' thing going on with the spelling of their respective names!). Since there's seemingly no available biographical info regarding the origin of these THREE GIRLZZ in the online universe, I would have to deem this foursome as another mystery artist to add to my ever-expanding case file. If it wasn't for my recent explorations through the Europop catalog, I may never have encountered THREE GIRLZZ on my own.....and I wouldn't have enjoyed the hour-long plus thrill ride that I did! Well, that thrill ride was actually split between the day after the New Year's and today; yesterday saw me tuning into this album's first six songs, beginning with the festively fun anthem, "Mambo 2K", which, taking into account that this album's original release date was back in 2000, was surely recorded as a celebration of sorts in anticipation for the New Millennium. Celebration is right—"Mambo 2K" instantly brought me joy with its bouncy rhythm and funky swing, followed by the sweet and unified voices of this foursome that got me thinking about the BANANAAMA girls. I like that playful 'ahhhhh' that they chant before the chorus, which further reminded me of the way it's sung on CHIC's throwback disco hit, "Le Freak". How appropriate that I should mention 'disco', because straight up disco fever is what erupts shortly afterwards on their HI-NRG remake of A TASTE OF HONEY's "Boogie Oogie Oogie". I've always loved that part of the chorus that goes ' gonna boogie oogie oogie 'till you just can't boogie no more ', but the GIRLZZ take that and invite a guest male DJ to give this classic a modernized twist with his fresh rap midway through—he concludes with a pumping ' c'mon ladies, go go go! '—that flows superbly with the HI-NRG tempo! The boogie on this disco floor doesn't stop there, though; it continues when they present their respectable remake of the HEATWAVE classic, "Boogie Nights", then on what I believe to be something unique the GIRLZZ recorded for themselves entitled "Hold Tight", although something in the sound and the arrangement feels so familiar. The throwback music sound of decades ago erupts again on "Don't Stop", where they've got that 60's girl group thing going on—sweet and catchy feelgood pop where the GIRLZZ on backup are bopping ' don't stop baby, I'm love lovestruck ' while the one on lead sings about a guy whom she wants to keep on calling her up and showing her love. Besides "Boogie Oogie Oogie" and "Boogie Nights", there had been a few other recognizable golden oldies from the past that had really sparked my interest attention in claiming this "Euromambo" album. There was the George Michael-fronted WHAM! hit, "Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go", which I didn't expect to be the supercharged Eurodance explosion that it is, but the pounding beat works great against this foursome's collectively sugar sweet voices! Then there was their take on DURAN DURAN's "The Reflex" (had to think about why that title was so familiar for a moment; I ultimately had to look it up and realized that it was indeed the British new wave band who did the 80's rockin' original). This revitalized synthpop format with female voices delivering the familiar words ' why don't you use it, try not to bruise it, buy time don't lose it ' takes some getting used to, but it still appeals, especially when you factor in the fresh hip twist with the guy's computerized distorted vocal effects saying 'reflex on, gonna get down', plus the 'duh-da-da-da' chanted by the other GIRLZZ in the background while lead girl singing the chorus. Then there's my favorite one of them all: "Holiday". Long-time Madonna fans will be pleased to hear this revitalized and synthesized funky dance/pop remake; I myself loved it the moment it started playing! But when one of the GIRLZZ tosses in a fresh rap before the first chorus, which itself is redone with the alternative lyrics of 'holiday, celebration, come together and every nation', plus the guy on background vocals adding his own ' don't you stop it, holiday', it guaranteed that this THE best remake of "Holiday" that I've ever heard.....and just one of the best cover songs on this album altogether. Of course, I couldn't help to go cover song crazy here, but I did enjoy the other unique THREE GIRLZZ tracks accompanying "Mambo 2K": their namesake funky dance/pop anthem on Track #5, which speaks of them wanting to bring friendship, love and attitude to everyone around them; a third anthem and another with that 'girls night out' theme, "Free To Be Me"; and the touching slow number, "Here In My Arms" which, after burning up the dance floor on all of the other jams, is a very nice way to cool things down:

1. Mambo 2K
2. Boogie Oogie Oogie (Single Edit)
3. Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go
4. Boogie Nights
5. Three Girlzz
6. Here In My Arms
7. Hold Tight
8. The Reflex
9. Don't Stop
10. Free To Be Me
11. Holiday
12. Mambo 2K (Factory Ska Remix)
13. Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go (Extended Remix Version)
14. Boogie Oogie Oogie (Extended Version)
15. Boogie Nights (Extended F.T. Remix)

No comments: