Friday, February 10, 2017

B*WITCHED-B*Witched (1998)


ORIGINAL POSTING DATE: February 10, 2017

If you haven't ever gotten into the music by this Irish all-girl pop group, then get ready to be charmed! One of the things I've always liked about Irish pop music is that distinctive native violin/whistle combination that accompanies nearly every song; it's presented here first on the girls' opening drum n' bass anthem, "Let's Go (The B*Witched Jig)". Can't even recall the last time I heard the girls' chart-topping hit, "C'est La Vie", but it surely heard it sometime in my yesterdays, as something about their collective 'uh-uh' chimed in the background during the verses had some strong familiarity about it. I like how they go ' I'll huff, I'll puff, I'll blow you away ', plus that lovely instrumental break with the hand-clapping going on. It's a really fun song! Next up is "Rev It Up"; by the title, a high-energy dance-floor thriller or something with loud rock guitars might be expected, but your ears are instead treated to a rather warming, summery kind of groove that sails on smoothly and makes more good use of the native Irish violin melodies. Made me think about the fellow Irish band THE CORRS, who also infuse the Irish violin/whistle combination into their own music, as I've had the pleasure of hearing in three previous album adventures with them. "To You I Belong": this instantly-charming slow number serves up even more of the Irish instrumental goodness; in fact, I could take this one as a complete instrumental by itself. Feels like I've drifted off to another place while taking this one in, and I'm sure that's the effect that these B*WITCHED girls were going for. It's a romantic thrill ride of sorts on "Rollercoaster", another where their sweet collective voices breeze along. while the groovy Eurodisco anthem "Freak Out" is just all thrills period! Too bad the latter cuts off so short, though; I was wanting to stay on that high-energy kick after the 2+ minutes expired! Yet it's the chills that I seem to favor more so on this debut than the thrills: "Blame It On The Weatherman", which had grown on me with its breezy, guitar-driven arrangement, eventually finding something epic about the song altogether (I think the pounding drum beats have something to do with it); "Castles In The Air", which is like one of those hypnotically ambient pieces that is like being whisked off into a daydream into a fantasy world; and "Like The Rose" (I'm personally always getting charmed by these slow songs with the sad tonality; I really like the sweet part of the lyrics about the guy who puts color in her life, just like a rose does) . Nothing wicked going on here with these B*WITCHED girls.....except for the wicked good time you'll have listening to them:

1. Let's Go (The B*Witched Jig)
2. C'est La Vie
3. Rev It Up
4. To You I Belong
5. Rollercoaster
6. Blame It On The Weatherman
7. We Four Girls
8. Castles In The Air
9. Freak Out
10. Like The Rose
11. Never Giving Up
12. Oh Mr. Postman

No comments: