Monday, July 31, 2017


YOUNG DIVAS-New Attitude (2007)

ORIGINAL POSTING DATE: July 31, 2017

After my thrill ride with this YOUNG DIVAS bunch ended last night, I was already preparing to fasten my seat belt for a second dizzying spin! So here I am showing even more love for these Aussie ladies with another delicious collection of cover songs that are just as tasty as the ones cooked up on their self-titled debut! For the 80's music lover, it's definitely one of those albums that'll make you go 'ooh!' while salivating over all of the memorable goodies that'll soon be entertaining your ears. I was pleasantly surprised to hear a disco-groovy dance remake of LOVERBOY's "Turn Me Loose". While I'll forever adore the gritty hair-band rockin' original from my favorite decade, these ladies put a newer, sexier spice on their version, with a bit of hip flavor added in with the rapping male MC midway through. My excitement level then skyrocketed to the upper stratosphere—well, it already had when I saw this album's title—when I got to the title track, which I already knew would be their take on the Patti LaBelle hit from the "Beverly Hills Cop" soundtrack. Their collective powerful voices are every match for Patti's own powerful chords on the 80's original; that, coupled with the same electronic arrangement and the same familiar words (always loved that 'ooh-ooh-ooh-ooh-ooh, I got a new attitude' from the chorus) turn this into a mega feel-gooder! I became an even happier man when my beloved POINTER SISTERS got to be represented with these delicious divas performing both "Jump (For My Love)" and "I'm So Excited" (both sound uncannily like their respective originals, except for the fast-tempo electronic dance beat!), then two times more when my beloved Taylor Dayne got represented with the divas performing their spruced-up version of "Tell It To My Heart" and the moving, emotional ballad "Love Will Lead You Back" (and that one's an excellent choice for the big-and-bold voices of this Aussie bunch!). The divas even go back a decade further when they take on some golden 70's hits: Cheryl Lynn's "Got To Be Real" (the male MC again adds some hip flavor with the rapped lyrics in the closing movements) and Yvonne Elliman's "If I Can't Have You", and I also believe "I Can't Wait" (presumed it would be a cover of the PWL favorite by Mandy Smith, but not so this time) and "Dear Santa (Bring Me A Man This Christmas)" are covers of 70's hits as well (found a new favorite with the latter, thanks to the stunning, soaring vocals all throughout as they make their request to Santa Claus loud and clear). Nice to hear a modernized version of the sunny, bouncy Diana Ross hit, "Chain Reaction", too. But what served as the icing on top of the cake for me was the bonus track that was found on select twelve-track versions of "New Attitude". The late Whitney Houston captivated me forever way back in 1987 with "I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me)".....and now these YOUNG DIVAS have stepped in to do exactly same! Everything that sparked me about the original is all here, with the added dance glitz making it even better! Awesome, awesome, awesome—that's all there's left to say after this 45+ minutes of pop bliss, and nothing can change my attitude about it:

1. Got To Be Real
2. If I Can't Have You
3. Turn Me Loose
4. I Can't Wait
5. New Attitude
6. Jump (For My Love)
7. Love Will Lead You Back
8. Chain Reaction
9. I'm So Excited
10, Tell It To My Heart
11, Dear Santa (Bring Me A Man This Christmas)

*****BONUS TRACK*****

12. I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me)

No comments: