Sunday, July 30, 2017


YOUNG DIVAS-Young Divas (2006)

ORIGINAL POSTING DATE: July 30, 2017

Here's even more proof that I'm forever a sucker for 80's music! And at the same time, it's further evidence that I still like to show love to the performers from these past reality television music competitions! The all-female Australian quartet that called itself YOUNG DIVAS truly are a divalicious bunch, and they show it off with a flurry of delicious cover songs here on their self-titled debut album. Definitely something else that I should've had in my collection a very long time ago, but I'll take it, even if it's eleven years later! I can thank a fellow music lover for directing me to a database that allowed me to track down additional versions of Umberto Tozzi's "Gloria"; that's exactly what led me to these YOUNG DIVAS in the first place! So I may as well start things off by raving about the song that I had for so long believed to be an original by the late Laura Branigan. Such a thrill it is to hear this one in its reinvented, electronic house rhythm format with a group of collective sultry voices performing the memorable lyrics (' why isn't anybody calling?, you don't have to answer, leave them hanging on the line, calling Gloria '! The 80's thrill ride had already gotten under way, however, with their opening super-flashy remake of Irene Cara's "What A Feeling". Then my excitement level skyrocketed with their tribute to the late Queen Of Disco with their modern-day Euro-house renditions of "This Time I Know It's For Real" (the groovy bass line does the PWL-produced original total justice) and "She Works Hard For The Money"—just two of my many Donna Summer favorites, and these divas easily could've covered every last one of them well! The PWL connection runs deeper than that; the dance remakes of " 'Searchin ", "Say I'm Your No. 1" and "You'll Never Stop Me Loving You" pay equal tributes to the household PWL artists Hazell Dean, Princess and Sonia, respectively. I was particularly excited about hearing "Say I'm Your No. 1", which retains that marvelously funky, synthesized dance/pop beat, and "You'll Never Stop Me Loving You", which is my #1 when it comes to all of Sonia's songs. More moments of rejoicing for me during this awesomely Aussie 80's party came with me hearing the disco-groovy remake of THE WEATHER GIRLS classic, "It's Raining Men", and the Deniece Williams pop 80's radio staple, "Let's Hear It For The Boy". Unfamiliar to my ears were the edgy rock/funk jam, "Right About Now" (I'm reminded of EN VOGUE's "Free Your Mind" on this one). the breezy musical bliss that is "Woman In Love" and the amazing dance jam, "Happenin' All Over Again", although I realized that I did get hear the Lonnie Gordon original a few years back. Twelve delicious goodies for me to sink my ears into here, enough to give me that kind of carefree, emotional high that these hits from my favorite decade always will put me on:

1. What A Feeling
2. This Time I Know It's For Real
3. Right About Now
4. Gloria
5. Happenin' All Over Again
6. Searchin'
7. Woman In Love
8. It's Raining Men
9. Let's Hear It For The Boy
10, She Works Hard For The Money
11, Say I'm Your No. 1
12. You'll Never Stop Me Loving You

No comments: